Pages

الأربعاء، 20 أكتوبر 2010

'If I had to concede I'm glad it was Eduardo'

By Chris Harris

Lukasz Fabianski would love to have kept a clean sheet on Tuesday night. But the identity of the man who beat him softened the blow a little.

Arsenal's goalkeeper was solid as a rock throughout an emphatic 5-1 victory over Shakhtar Donetsk but the Pole was forced to pick the ball out of his own net eight minutes from time after Eduardo converted a half-volley.

It was a moment to savour for Eduardo on his return to Emirates Stadium as the home fans rose to applaud his strike as enthusiastically as the travelling Ukrainian supporters. Fabianski admits he was delighted for his former team-mate.

"I was a bit upset with the goal because I wanted to keep a clean sheet but that is part of football. I just have to live with that," he told Arsenal.com.

"Anyway, if someone had to score I'm glad it was Eduardo. That is what makes me a bit less sad. To be honest I was happy for Eduardo because he scored and got a great reception.

"I remember when we played against Villarreal when Robert Pires played and the crowd were the same. I think it's really nice because it shows the fans appreciate players like that."

Fabianski is growing with confidence with every game between the posts and has certainly taken advantage of his latest opportunity following an injury to Manuel Almunia. The Pole is not getting carried away but he believes a run in the side has helped him find his rhythm.

"It is always like that, when you play regularly you always become more confident on the pitch," said Fabianski. "I am just happy to be involved in all the games at the moment. I am happy I can play 90 minutes at the moment and I am just trying to play as best as I can.

"It was a really good win for us and it didn't look like we would win 5-1 in the first half, but we took all the chances that we created. We are happy with the performance and the result."

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق